ArcGIS Exercise: Geocoding Health Facilities
The course "Geocoding Health Facilities" is designed to give you a basic understanding of how to use ArcGIS geographic information system tools to create a GIS dataset from a list of addresses, a utility that is useful for many different emergency planning and response applications. It is an exercise in tutorial format, with step by step instructions. The example data used for the exercise is a list of health facility addresses for Hawai`i.
It requires access to ArcGIS ArcView version 9.1, 9.2, or later. Evaluation copies of the software are available at the following URL: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcview/eval/evalcd.html
This course was created by Pacific EMPRINTS, at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Anthropology. Creation of the course was funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Grant No. T01HP6427-0100.
The material covered in this course is related, in part, to the following capabilities from the Homeland Security Target Capabilities List:
- Common: Communications
- Common: Planning
- Prevent: Information Gathering and Recognition of Indicators & Warnings
- Prevent: Information Sharing and Dissemination
- Prevent: Intelligence Analysis and Production
- Protect: Epidemiologic Surveillance and Investigation
- Respond: Critical Resource Logistics & Distribution
- Respond: Emergency Public Information and Warning
- Respond: Mass Care (Sheltering, Feeding, Related services)
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Use ArcGIS to set up an address locator and set the address matching parameters to prepare for address geocoding.
- Use ArcGIS to process a file of address locations and convert them to a GIS data layer.
- Review the address geocoding results and investigate any unmatched addresses.
Administrators, Emergency/Disaster Planners, Emergency Medical Services personnel, Other Public Health personnel
Certificate of Completion:
A Certificate of Completion is available to be printed for this course upon completion of the post-test with a score of 80% or higher.
*subject to change without notice.