On the Frontline: Vaccine Development for Avian Influenza
The podcast "On the Frontline: Vaccine Development for Avian Influenza" features an interview with internationally recognized vaccine expert, Dr. Gregory A. Poland. Topics covered include the current status of vaccine development for Avian Influenza, the diagnosis and prevention of Avian Influenza, and the potential for Pandemic Influenza.
This podcast was created by Pacific EMPRINTS, at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Anthropology. Creation of the course was funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration Grant No. T01HP6427-0100.
This podcast fulfills, in part, the following Core Competencies for Teaching Emergency Preparedness to Health Professions Students and Clinical Personnel:
- Demonstrate the ability to take medical histories that identify symptoms associated with exposure to CBRNE agents or other public health emergencies.
- Demonstrate the ability to consider exposure to CBRNE agents or other public health emergencies when establishing differential diagnoses and developing problem lists.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutics and pharmaceuticals used to combat CBRNE agents or other public health emergencies.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize the need for, and to collect and preserve, forensic evidence from patients who may be victims of a CBRNE event or other public health emergency.
By the end of this podcast, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between the clinical presentations of Avian Influenza and seasonal influenza
- Identify preventive measures against Avian Influenza.
- Identify which medications are appropriate for treatment of Avian Influenza.
Public Health personnel, Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists, Dentists, Veterinarians, Other Emergency Medical Services personnel
Gregory A. Poland, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.I.D.S.A.
Gregory A. Poland, MD, FACP, FIDSA, has been the Director of the Program in Translational Immunovirology and Biodefense at the Department of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic since 2002, and is also an Associate Chair there. He is also the current Director of the Immunization Clinic and Services at the Mayo Clinic as well. For more information about Dr. Poland, please visit the Mayo Clinic’s website at mayoresearch.mayo.edu.
Certificate of Completion:
A Certificate of Completion is available to be printed for this course upon completion of the post-test with a score of 80% or higher.
*subject to change without notice.